Women's March San Luis Obispo Action and Advocacy
Started March 26, 2017
Created by Dawn Addis434 Facebook Friends.
Funds will go to
Women's March San Luis Obispo
Most Recent Donations
On January 21, 2017 we gathered for Women’s March San Luis Obispo.
We stood together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families – recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country. We continue to work for a positive and just future. Join us!
What Your Money Will Be Used For
Continued work in direct action and advocacy to promote women's and human rights. This includes things such as project management, publicity, postcard printing, rental costs, insurance, permitting and other fees that come with direct action and advocacy campaigns. None of these things are glamorous, but they are the time and money behind all the direct action and coalition building that we do across the Central Coast and beyond.
Every dollar you give counts to keep the momentum of the Women's March San Luis Obispo alive!
What we've done since Jan. 21, 2017
$10,000 Donation to RISE SLO riseslo.org from your donations!Events
- Pro-peace Immigration Vigil on Feb. 1- Since then two executive orders banning Muslims have been stayed.
- A Day Without A Woman March and Moment of Silence/International Women's Day - Over $1000 in cash and in-kind donations raised for Women's Shelter SLO.
- Meet Your Muslim Neighbors - Inspired by WMSLO and the Pro-Peace Immigration Vigil, Over 500 people attended and learned about the local Muslim Community.
- Being an Ally: How Faith and Other Communities Can Respond to the Immigration Crisis, April 6
- International Men's March to end Rape, Sexual Assault, and Gender Violence, Women's March SLO Team, April 29. Register to walk and credit the WMSLO Tam or just donate to the WMSLO Team: https://riseslo.z2systems.com/np/clients/riseslo/e...
- Host a Community Events Calendar for the Central Coast Activists to have a central place to find out what's going on https://womensmarchslo.com/events/
- Participate in Women's March CA Leadership and #31ActionsCA
- Build coalitions with formal organizations as well as those just getting started as we work toward a positive and just future.
- Write, Call, Support - Over 500 WMSLO post-cards purchased and given away - It works! The ACA was NOT overturned due to grass-roots activist writing and calling.
- Publicize - We use our strong social media presence and email list to inform how to take action towards a positive and just future.
We stand in solidarity to protect women’s rights, human rights, our safety, our health, and our planet, as we move toward a positive and just future. We are actively nonviolent in words and action. We work to unify our nation’s diverse communities, grounded in new relationships, to create change from the grassroots. We recognize that there is no true peace, freedom, or inclusion without equity for all.
We believe that Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights. We must create a society in which women – including Black women, Native women, poor women, immigrant women, disabled women, Muslim women, lesbian queer and trans women – are free and able to care for and nurture their families, however they are formed, in safe and healthy environments free from structural impediments.
Women deserve to live full and healthy lives, free of all forms of violence against our bodies. We believe in accountability and justice in cases of police brutality and ending racial profiling and targeting of communities of color. It is our moral imperative to dismantle the gender and racial inequities within the criminal justice system.
We believe in Reproductive Freedom. We do not accept any federal, state or local rollbacks, cuts or restrictions on our ability to access quality reproductive healthcare services, birth control, HIV/AIDS care and prevention, or medically accurate sexuality education. This means open access to safe, legal, affordable abortion and birth control for all people, regardless of income, location or education.
We firmly declare that LGBTQIA Rights are Human Rights and that it is our obligation to uplift, expand and protect the rights of our gay, lesbian, bi, queer, trans or gender non-conforming brothers, sisters and siblings. We must have the power to control our bodies and be free from gender norms, expectations and stereotypes.
We believe in an economy powered by transparency, accountability, security and equity. All women should be paid equitably, with access to affordable childcare, sick days, healthcare, paid family leave, and healthy work environments. All workers – including domestic and farm workers, undocumented and migrant workers – must have the right to organize and fight for a living minimum wage.
We believe Civil Rights are our birthright, including voting rights, freedom to worship without fear of intimidation or harassment, freedom of speech, and protections for all citizens regardless of race, gender, age or disability. We believe it is time for an all-inclusive Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
We believe that all women’s issues are issues faced by women with disabilities and Deaf women. As mothers, sisters, daughters, and contributing members of this great nation, we seek to break barriers to access, inclusion, independence, and the full enjoyment of citizenship at home and around the world. We strive to be fully included in and contribute to all aspects of American life, economy, and culture.
Rooted in the promise of America’s call for huddled masses yearning to breathe free, we believe in immigrant and refugee rights regardless of status or country of origin. We believe migration is a human right and that no human being is illegal.
We believe that every person and every community in our nation has the right to clean water, clean air, and access to and enjoyment of public lands. We believe that our environment and our climate must be protected, and that our land and natural resources cannot be exploited for corporate gain or greed – especially at the risk of public safety and health.