Crowdfunding Best Practices
Your message needs to be compelling and specific
- Does the campaign title tell the story?
- Why are you running this campaign?
- How will the funds be used? Videos and pictures are important
- Do they help you tell the story?
- Do they make readers more empathetic? Endorsements:
- How can donors trust that this is a valid, worthwhile cause?
- Have other organizations, brands or celebrities endorsed your cause? Is there an urgency to take action?
Secure advanced donations prior to marketing your campaign
- It is best if you can secure 20% of your goal PRIOR to marketing your campaign.
- The first set of donations will anchor future donations. If your first set of donors give $50 -$100, it will be unlikely the next donor will give $500 or $10.
- Plan donor sequencing. New donors will be more likely to give if the campaign is active and recent donations are visible. Be Responsive on social media
- Comments and shares matter!
- Thank people publicly; thanking people on your Facebook Page creates a nice reason to re-share your campaign.
- Comment quickly.
Your outreach should include all organizations and influencers that may share your campaign
- Create a list. Think broadly!
- Include all entities associated with the campaign and related causes.
- Include board members, influencers (celebrities; well-connected individuals), friends and family. Is there an opportunity to get the press to cover the campaign?
- Remains the strongest outreach available.
- Summarize your campaign page and include the campaign link (multiple times). Make it easy for people to click to your campaign.
- Access all available names for each distribution partner (identified above). Facebook/Twitter/Social networks.
- Share the campaign page!
- Share it again! (social networks limit the distribution for each post)
- Use Messenger and Texts! Direct messaging often is more effective than simple posts. Include a brief message why this campaign matters to you along with a link to the campaign (each campaign has a button to create a tiny URL).
- Respond to comments/shares – People liked to be thanked. You can’t thank people enough! Website
- Create a direct link on your website to your campaign.
- Use the “embed” functionality on your campaign page.